What I loved about 2018
That’s it, folks! Another year flown by, another list of goals achieved, another bunch of awesome weddings shot and another set of inevitable obstacles scaled (or descaled, depending on your point of view).
All in all, 2018 gave me plenty of valid reasons to shout my blessings from the rooftops, yet also a few unknown reasons to hide away from the world under the duvet. Never one to shy away from exposing the truth behind life as a wedding photographer, I thought I’d tell you all about my year in this super gorgeous roundup post.
2018 saw me zooming off to amazing places, like Berlin, Scotland and Santorini, including beautiful mini trips to Haworth and Wales, plus a quick dash down to Tunbridge Wells to meet up with the wonderful Holly Rose Stones to take part in her photography mentoring sessions.
The year wasn’t exactly a hotbed of far-flung lands like some of my previous years have been, but I’ve taken a bit of a step back from shooting multitudes of destination weddings these days anyway. I’m not stopping them entirely! No no, you can still read my extensive bucket list on my DESTINATIONS page. But I have to say that I’m super content with just one or two a year now (maybe 3). My happy place is at home with my partner Tom and our dog Maggie, so being able to travel around the UK and take them both with me is the ultimate happiness.
'OMG!!!!!! Amy, we are literally beside ourselves! They are INCREDIBLE!!!! We would pay a million pounds for these! We are over the moon and it made us so so happy and took us right back there to that day!' Sami & Kerrie
And while one of my other achievements never really feels like an “achievement” in the traditional sense of the word, I still feel it’s worth mentioning because it’s one of the most challenging things I have ever had to conquer. In 2018 my relationship with my mental health became almost impossible at times. From some point in July I just cut myself off from most things. A lot of people asked why I wasn’t shooting conceptually, or styled wedding shoots, or organising another photography workshop. Honest reply? I just felt like I needed time to be at home with my thoughts and not to put too much stress on my already overloaded and anxious brain.
By the end of the year I was feeling much more like my spritely, brash, sarcastic self! A combination of de-stressing quiet times, plus regular exercise and a steely determination brought me back to life. Not to mention lots of music and a whole heap of drag! (Ask me about both if you’re interested…)
'Amy! We have been in tears. Just incredible. We cannot thank you enough and can't wait to see the rest of them! Soooo glad we chose you as our photographer!' Lisa + Mark
But don’t worry, last year wasn’t all doom and gloom and battles of will. I had suchhh a fun time at all of my gorgeous weddings, all 31 of them, and also outside of work too.
The good shit:
- I SERIOUSLY BLOGGED! Not only weddings, with the aid of my lovely couples, but also lots of advice articles. You can check them all out by clicking here. All of the entries are bursting with experience and information, perfect for those newly engaged people who have no clue where to start.
- I WAS PUBLISHED IN A NO 1 BEST SELLING BOOK! The lovely Kat from RocknRollBride chose 2 of my images to be featured in her new book dedicated to everything an alternative bride needs to know. You can buy a copy of the book by clicking here.
- I AM STILL A YOUTUBER! (kinda). I continued filming for my new YouTube channel and uploaded a few really fun videos. Even though I stopped uploading later in the year, I will be reigniting the spark in my channel very soon… next week perhaps. You can watch my videos and subscribe to my channel by clicking here.
- I have been named in YOURPERFECTWEDDINGPHOTOGRAPHER’s TOP 100 PHOTOGRAPHERS for 3 years running (2017, 2018, 2019).
- One of my images was chosen as one of DEAR PHOTOGRAPHERS BEST IMAGES OF 2018, which is absolutely unbelievable, you should click the link to see the competition! (My image is the 14th down.)
- I SHOT MY 150TH WEDDING! WOOHOO! What a milestone!
- I COMPLETED A BOOK CHALLENGE by reading 25 books in a year. In fact, I read 25 books in 10 months! And not one of them was an audiobook.
- I SURVIVED BOOTCAMP! In an effort to get myself fit again after spending almost 3 years with a knee injury and the recovery time following an operation, I signed up for bootcamp. ARGH! 6 weeks done and dusted (and another 8 weeks starting soon – yes I am a glutton for punishment.) Being fit and healthy means I can stay active for my couples and my creativity isn’t hindered.
- I MET MY LOVES, THE 1975! (see below)
- I ALSO MET SCOTTISH LEGEND, MR NEIL OLIVER(see below)
- I ALSO MET THE LEGEND THAT IS MISS VAAAAANJIE, MISS VAAAAAAAAAANJIE! (see below)
- Which reminds me – I also named my drag persona, please allow me to introduce IZZY AMANN. (see below)
I would also like to thank everyone I have worked with over the last year; all the second shooters, the models, the videographers, the wedding suppliers and industry specialists. Farrrr too many to name tag you all, but honestly, I hope to work with you all again in 2019 and beyond.
'OMGGG!! they are absolutely amazing- you have captured everything SO beautifully! Takes us back- so emotional seeing it all again! Cannot wait to see what other ones you have taken too- I don't know what more there could be! WE LOVE THEM! thank you so much!' Hannah + Jay
So here is what I’ve learned over the last 12 months that I’d like to pass on to the awesome people who read my blog.
You have to take time for yourself, you have to say no to a few things, you have to sit quietly with a book and zone out from your surroundings, you have to escape to the countryside where you can’t hear a constant hum of a motorway and you can actually see the stars, you have to stop worrying about what others are doing and focus on what you’re doing. In the immortal words of Matty Healy, ‘give yourself a try’.
BECAUSE YOU ARE GLORIOUS!
'I don’t know what to say, I’m in awe! I love the slideshow it’s amazing, we’re sat with a glass of champagne and the (happy) tears are falling down my face. You’ve captured our day beautifully, words can’t describe it.' Katie + Peter
Please enjoy everything my 2018 had to offer (get ready for it, there are over 100 images here!) – can’t wait to see what 2019 holds for me and my amazing couples!