What I loved about 2017
Oh man, here we go again! How is it the end of another year already? Wowzer. That one certainly flew by!
And do you know why? Because I had so much fun!
2016 – I’m not going to lie – was a very tough year. I had some absolutely wonderful moments, don’t get me wrong; but, unfortunately, they ran alongside some incredibly difficult times that I hope never to experience again. But, fear not, as well as my ever-pragmatic partner, a zany collection of friends, a wonderful family and the love I have for my wedding photography business was what kept me going. My amazing couples – all of your crazy antics, brilliant ideas, wacky families and even wackier friends. You are all stars!
Not to mention your words of encouragement along the way. Without those, I don’t think I could have started 2017 with such a resilient determination to improve myself and my business.
'Oh em gee!!!!! You are one incredible woman!! We've watched it together and are both compleatly thrilled, how will I ever choose the ones to print out. So excited for the USB!!' Viola + Danny
As a side note, I don’t know if anyone will ever understand how much a creative soul depends on the appreciation of others. We sit in these (sometimes lonely) bubbles, analysing our own work to the point of utter desolation, but one positive word from our clients and we are instantly reminded why we put ourselves into such an intense and emotion-driven career. And that feeling can be completely euphoric. I’ve often compared being a wedding photographer to being addicted to crack cocaine. “I just need one more wedding man, I can handle it! I just need to feel the buzz when the groom cries at the slideshow! HONESTLY, I’M NOT ADDICTED!”
'Omg Amy!!!! We are absolutely made up with the photos, i knew they would be amazing but you have totally exceeded our expectations! Thank You so much for capturing our special day, we could relive it all over again.' Emma + Lewis
2017 held many new adventures, yet the year was much more peaceful than its predecessor. I found myself in Scotland, York, Brighton and Ireland, as well as Italy (twice), France and Ibiza. Some trips went without a hitch and some… well, ONE… one shall be forever dubbed as one of the worst travelling weeks that anyone has ever experienced. On the other hand, I did get to experience it with one of my best friends (Clara Cooper Photography) and, because of that, I wouldn’t change it for a big clock.
(Well… maybe I’d change that last hotel we stayed at, bleh! And having a bag pick-pocketed. And losing train tickets. And almost losing a phone. And almost all flights being cancelled or delayed…)
While I wasn’t travelling to shoot amazing weddings, I was at home shooting many other cool as fuck weddings. And in between those I decided that this was the year I would begin to hone and sculpt my business, my brand, and myself. I have continued to push my wedding photography towards a smaller niche of the industry, hoping to capture more of my absolute perfect couples and produce work that will not only provide them with years of memories but also continue to inspire myself and others. (Because if you can’t inspire yourself, honey, how in the hell are you gonna inspire someone else! Yaaasss! Werq! Etc. Etc. Knew I’d fit some drag queen quotes into this somewhere!) This is a project that will continue well into 2018, so watch this space for lots of changes, updates and improvements.
- I organised and shot another cracking styled shoot that was accepted onto ROCK MY WEDDING blog. (You can see more of that shoot by clicking here.)
- I got my 2nd submission accepted onto ROCK’N’ROLL BRIDE (which you can see by clicking here) and started advertising within their fabulous printed magazine.
- I was named in YOURPERFECTWEDDINGPHOTOGRAPHER’s Top 100 photographers of 2017.
- A fab 2016 wedding made it into YOUR CHESHIRE & MERSEYSIDE WEDDING MAGAZINE with one of the images making the front cover.
- I shot what could be the very first and only DOUBLE wedding ever to be held at the Liverpool Town Hall.
- I finally shot a HARRY POTTER themed wedding! This also included my first bride in a black wedding dress <3
- A portrait of a bride and groom that incorporated a famous piece of Liverpool graffiti went viral!! Reposted by many Instagrams, including You & Your Wedding and the original graffiti artist!
- I began filming for my very first YouTube channel (something I have hoped to start for over 10 years but had to overcome a certain physical anxiety first and foremost; another small and more personal achievement of mine).
- Got my broken knee fixed after 2 years of pain and having to say no to things… HURRAH!
I’m sure there are other achievements, but I’m starting to sound egotistical now, so I will shut up and leave you with my Jerry Springer style final thought…
So here I am – 1 year older, 1 year wiser, with another year’s worth of incredible photography to share with you lucky, lucky people. I’ve come to realise that although you have to work to live, you can’t live to just work. Take some time for yourself and the rest will all slot into place.
And if it doesn’t; FUCK IT!
Please enjoy everything my 2017 had to offer – can’t wait to see what 2018 holds for me and my amazing couples!
'Amy, I'm an emotional wreck! They are so so beautiful, thank you! We are just so happy with them, you've done such an amazing job.' Vicky + David
'OH MY GOD AMY!!!! I have literally danced around the house we are so happy!!!!!!!!! You are absolutely incredible. It made me cry. Thank you so much we adore them. Perfectly sums up our day!!!!!!!' Laura + Matt